Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When to call a plumber

So, there are a few lessons to be learned in my first remodel. Number one...prepare to be over budget. I got part of the tile off and realized I was going to have to go down to the studs. Which is going to cost extra...then I tried my hand at plumbing. This first picture is an example of what my work looked like after about 4 hours of trying to solder and one full day (and night) without water. You will notice that the copper no longer looks like copper and the whole thing looks a little amateurish to say the least.

The next picture is what happens when you call a plumber over, because you realize you are way out of your league. You will notice that the copper looks like copper and the brass looks like brass and the whole thing is really pretty. Some times you just have to know when to call in the pros!

4 comments:

Jessy B said...

I'm proud of you for trying! You learned a lot from watching the plumber so I'm sure you will be able to do it on our next bathroom. i'm excited to move forward, though!

Goofy Granny said...

Just rememder the Sims family mottos are: 1. It always takes more than one trip. and 2. It's never easy. Keep your chin up. You learned alot from the plumber.

Hank said...

We've worked with that copper tubing before too. We had to put in a hot water line to a washing machine. The final product DID look ugly, much as you've come to realize, but Cindy also burned herself really bad! She was heating up the pipe while I was soldering, and she leaned in a little too close and the pipe touched her forearm. She still has a wicked scar there, although it's faded a lot since then. So just think, had you kept going... you might have burnt your arm! Or your face! Or caught yourself on fire!

Mike said...

As a pro welder I can say that you got the pipe too hot. It does take practice to get the right temp. Just enough to melt the solder, but not burn the flux. Keep trying!